Hectic Hamster® has been mixing it up with his buddy, healthy chef and awesome professional freerunner Mitch Lee of www.macromitch.com. Mitch has devised another deliciously healthy recipe, this time a coffee and walnut energy bake cake using Hectic as his coffee base!
“The smell of a freshly baked coffee & walnut cake is something that cannot help but fill your home with joy. Not only is this cake gluten, dairy and sugar free, but it is also made with real ingredients, no artificial sweeteners. With the added caffeine kick from the coffee, this would make for a delicious pre-gym breakfast, or as a post workout pick-me-up with a good balance of protein carbs and fat” Mitch Lee
Per Slice (out of 10): 140kcals, 6g Protein, 15g Carbs (5g sugar, 2g fibre) and 6g Fat.
100g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour (Mitch uses Doves Farm)
100g Almond Flour (Mitch uses Sukrin)
1tsp Baking Powder
1tsp Bicarbonate of soda
1/3rdtsp Xantham Gum
30g Chopped Walnuts
Pinch of Salt
100ml Strongly Brewed Hectic Hamster® Coffee (Mitch made a double espresso and added a little more water)
200ml Almond Milk
1 Ripe Banana (Roughly 100g)
30g Lucy Bee Coconut Oil
3-4Tbsp Agave Nectar or Maple Syrup
- Pre-heat your fan oven to 180•C and line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Melt your coconut oil in the microwave for roughly 30 seconds, then add this along with the rest of your wet ingredients into a food processor and blend until well combined and the banana is completely mashed.
- In a mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients then pour in your wet mixture and stir until the batter is smooth and well combined. If it is too wet, add a pinch more xantham gum and taste for sweetness and add more agave if desired.
- Pour your mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake on the middle shelf for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out completely clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest in the tin for 5 minutes, before transferring onto a wire cooling rack and resting for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove greaseproof paper, top with additional walnuts and a drizzle of honey (if desired) and enjoy! This tastes especially nice microwaved for 15 seconds and topped with a little nut butter.